Bramwood Holiday Bungalow is ideal for those who want a truly memorable self-catering holiday on the beautiful Gower Peninsula, but with access to specialist equipment to enable you to relax with family or friends.
The main purpose of the Bungalow is to give access to families and friends who may have someone who is in a wheelchair, or has mobility problems. Bramwood is a dormer bungalow, and is located off the main road on a quiet tree lined lane.
The bungalow was originally adapted to meet our sons needs, he is a wheelchair user and it seemed a good idea to use the house to enable families to holiday together. We know what it is like to turn up at a hotel only to find they do not have a shower chair.
The bungalow is set in approx. 1/4 acre of landscaped gardens, and is accessed by wooden gates that lead onto a sloping tarmac drive.
Bramwood sleeps up to 9 people + cot and has five bedrooms, four of which are situated on the ground floor, 2 with ensuite facilities. The fifth bedroom is accessed via stairs from the utility area of the house.
- • Prior to Booking all guests and/or carers can contact us via our mobile number or email in order to confirm the general suitability of Bramwood for your holiday. If you can give as much information as possible on the booking form, and I will endeavor to ensure we can meet your needs.
- After we have received payment in full 6 weeks prior to your booking date we will send you a Welcome to Bramwood Pack this will include maps and directions to the house, and the management company details if you have a problem.
- The nearest railway station is in Swansea that is 21.2 miles away. Taxis are available at the station. If you require a wheelchair accessible taxi this can be booked in advance. (See contact information for details).
- The nearest bus stop is at the top of the lane, approximately 1000m/500yds from the bungalow. There is no designated bus stop on the main road it stops by demand.
- The road outside the bungalow is not made up, and for a short distance is uneven in places. This is only for a short distance, and then the road is tarmacked to the main road.
- There are local companies who supply equipment for hire. (See contact information for details).
- The nearest Shopmobility is 22.5 miles away in Plymouth Street at Swansea Bus station.
- You can arrange for shopping to be delivered in time for your arrival, Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Asda can deliver online orders to the area. There are a number of local shops for items you forget to bring. Pitton Cross Caravan Park carries an excellent stock of items.
- This access statement is available in large print.
Key Collection and Welcome
Instructions on key collection will be sent with your Welcome pack.
- Parking is available at the bungalow for 3 cars, one of which can be accommodated in the double garage.
- The parking area at Bramwood is tarmaced, and there is a paved ramp leading up to the house, which is bordered on one side with a raised flowerbed.
- This area is well lite at night by dusk to dawn, and motion sensor lights.
- CCTV cameras are in operation outside of Bramwood for security purposes.
- There is a paved path that runs around the house, and the patio area can be accessed from outside the front via a ramp which is mm/ ins wide.
- There is level access via the ramp, which is mm/ins wide, from the parking area, which is on a slope.
- The entrance is well lite by the front door by dusk to dawn lights.
- The front door is 83mm/33ins wide.
- The floor covering in the hall and throughout the bungalow is solid oak.
- The hall, stairs and landings are all well lite using a combination of ceiling lights and spotlights.
- Passageways are 139.7mm/55ins wide in the hall area.
- The floor coverings are a mixture or oak, mahogany, tiles and pinewood.
- The Staircase to the first floor has steps: it has a rail on one side, and is quite narrow.
- The sitting room/lounge is situated on the ground floor with level access from the hallway.
- The door opening into the lounge is 83mm/33ins wide, and is half glazed.
- The room has a mixture of seating consisting of a sofa and other soft chairs with feather cushions. The sofa height is 533.4mm/21ins. (If you have a feather allergy can you let the management know on booking form)?
- Furniture can be moved to accommodate a wheelchair user.
- There is a wide screened digital smart TV, a DVD Player and free sat box with remote controls.
- Lighting is natural daylight, and by night there are low level wall lights and a central hanging light.
- There is a wood burner in the lounge. If you have children you may want to use the fireguard that is stored in one of the bedrooms.
- The flooring is solid oak with rugs that can be taken up if necessary.
- The Patio, BBQ area can be accessed from this room via a sliding double glazed door. The door slides to 1092.2mm/43ins wide. There is full-length blind s, which can be drawn during the day.
- The dining room is situated in the L-shaped room, which includes the kitchen area. There is a slight slope between the hall and kitchen onto a level mahogany parquet floor.
- The door openings to the dining room from the hallway and the utility room are 139.2mm/33ins wide.
- The dining table has legs in each corner, 749.3mm/29ins to top of table. From the floor to lowest point of table (under space) and is 660.4mm/26ins high.
- There is free space around the table.
- Chairs (all moveable) – 8 chairs with padded leather seats that have no arms. There are further chairs around the house if needed.
- Lighting is natural daylight with ceiling down lighters and spotlights.
- Flooring is Parquet mahogany solid wood with rugs near cooking and preparation area.
- The kitchen is L-shaped and is situated on the ground floor with level access from the hallway and dining area.
- There is an oil fired AGA Rayburn which provides both cooking and hot water for heating and washing.
- Worktop and sink are 930mm/36.6ins above the floor.
- Fridge, highest shelf in fridge is 1193.9mm/47ins, and lowest drawer is 279.4/11ins.
- The kitchen is well equiped with a microwave, dishwasher, kettle coffemaker and toaster.
- Glases and crockery can be moved from wall cupboards to lower cupboards if required, please request this when booking.
- The accessible bedroom is situated on the ground floor, and is equipped with a profiling bed with cot sides if needed. It is electric and the lowest height it can be set is635mm/25ins. There is level access from the hallway. It has a fixed ArjoHuntleigh ceiling-tracking hoist from the bed into the bathroom and toilet. (Weight limits are explained on booking form). The door to the accessible room is 139.2mm/33ins wide. A central ceiling light provides lighting. The sliding patio door is 965.1mm/38ins wide.
- Furniture can be easily removed or re-arranged in the accessible room.
- A Z-bed for use by a personal assistant/carer or friend/family member is available in one of the ground floor bedrooms. (If you need this made up or have laundry made available can you let Management Company know on the booking form)?
- Bedroom 2 is accessed via the level access oak hallway, which is 889mm/ 35ins wide.
- There is a sliding patio door that gives access to the patio area it is 965.1mm/38ins wide.
- The mattress height of the King-size bed is 635mm/25ins.
- There is a dressing room and the door width is 685mm/27ins wide. And a wet room with toilet. The width of the door to the wet room is 139.2mm/33ins.
- A central ceiling light and reading wall lights situated above headboard provides lighting.
- Bedroom 3 is a double-bedded room and the door width is 139.2mm/33ins wide.
- Bedroom 4 is furnished with bunk beds.
- On the first floor there is a room with a king-size bed, and on the landing area there is a daybed, which can either be made up to provide an extra bed or can be used as a quiet area to sit.
- Lighting is natural daylight and at night over head spotlights. There are also bedside lamps.
- All bedrooms on the ground floor offer level access flooring and non-feather bedding.
- Digital TV and frees sat is available in accessible room lounge kitchen and upstairs bedroom.
- An alarm clock/radio is available in all rooms.
- Internet access is also available.
- The ground floor accessible room has an en-suite bathroom which has the following:
- Door opening is 139.2mm/33ins wide.
- Non-slip tiled flooring with level access.
- A bath with hand held shower.
- A shower chair/commode.
- A shower seat available when required. (If you inform the management company at time of booking if you require something specific, we can help you source it to hire).
- Gerberit Balena care toilet, which is 457mm/18ins high.
- Seat raisers when required.
- Washbasin 800mm/31/5ins high.
- Lever taps on the washbasin and bath.
- Well lite with overhead lights and fluorescent light over mirror with shaver point.
- The rear kitchen door is 83mm/33ins wide; it does have one step that will not make it wheelchair friendly.
- The utility room is accessed from the kitchen onto a tiled floor with rugs.
- There is a standard size washing machine and drier. Both are front loading.
- A chest freezer, which is 711.1mm/28ins to reach the bottom.
- The sink is fitted with twist type taps.
- Lighting is via a single fluorescent tube light fitting.
- The cloakroom is situated at the bottom of the staircase in the utility room area. The door is 685.8mm/27ins wide.
- Toilet height is 406mm/16ins. The wash hand basin is 812.8mm/32ins high.
- There is a paved patio area which can be accessed via the ramp to front of bungalow, or from the lounge, accessible room and bedroom 2 via sliding patio doors.
- A wooden table and chairs and a gas BBQ are available on the patio. The umbrella and seat cushions are stored in bedroom 2 in the dressing room.
- The garden area is approx. ¼ acre in size and is mainly laid to lawn and raised flowerbeds, which forms the ramped area from the driveway.
- A paved path runs around the bungalow and is mm/ ins wide.
- There is a raised decked area, which is at the top of steps.
- A pond that is fed by one of the many natural springs that flows down from Rhossili Downs comes into the garden via a waterfall.
- The pond is fitted with a safety grid, and the gate on the raised decked area is kept locked. Small children should be supervised near the pond and waterfall.
- There is garden lighting in this area, which is controlled via the electric switches at the bottom of the steps.
- • Trained assistance dogs are welcome, please follow the country code and ensure your dog is kept supervised at all times. Please clean up after your dog in the garden and lane. We would ask for you not to leave your pets unattended for long periods of time in the bungalow.
- • The gates on the drive should be kept closed, because of the sheep, cattle and horses that can wonder from Rhossili Downs. You really don’t want to wake up to a garden full of cows.
- Mobile phone reception is poor: Vodaphone is the only one you can get good coverage with on the Gower. There is now an emergency Vodaphone mobile in the Bungalow that can be topped up if necessary. And we are trying to get our phone company to install our landline as incoming calls only on advice of Emergency Services.
- We are in our first year of letting our adapted home, and we are planning to review next year with your help to improve areas for the benefit of our guests. Your comments are welcome to assist us with this project.
- We are looking at joining the national Accessibility Scheme to get a grading suitable to the guests we hope to accommodate.
- The nearest General Hospital with an A&E Department is: -
Heol Maes Eglwys,
- Doctors Surgery is 2.7 miles away.
Gower Medical practice
Telephone: 01792 390413
Prescriptions: 01792 391464
Out of Hours: 0330 123 9180
- Swansea Council have a list of Agencies:
Information about Domiciliary Care Agencies for People who use Direct Payments
- Shopmobility for short-term hire of equipment.
Swansea Mobility Hire
Swansea City Bus Station
Phone: 01792 461785
Fax: 01792 467614
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobility Equipment Hire Direct Ltd
10 Sandyford Place
Glasgow Scotland G3 7NB
Phone 0800 644 6062 / 0044 (0) 141 243993
E-mail – email@example.com
Mobility Equipment Hire Direct - Swansea
- Data Cabs:
- H & H Travel:
Parking at Bramwood
Entrance to the Property
Halls, Stairs, and Landings
Bedrooms and Sleeping areas
Bathrooms, Wet Room and Toilets
Future Plans for Bramwood
Local Care Agencies
Local Equipment Hire
Local Accessible Taxis
The links for taxis are for your information and we would suggest if you need to use their services that you contact them first for terms of hire and charges.
Local Public Transport